Monday, 22 February 2010

The non art of Mr. Brainwash

Yesterday I went to see the Banksy film production "Exit Through The Gift Shop". My jaw dropped when I realized that this film was actually about the French man Thierry Guetta. I met him two and a half years ago in London where he was constantly filming Shepard Fairey and told me that he is making the epic Street Art documentary. What I found out yesterday is that the tide has turned and Guetta, due to Banksy's advise, replaced the camera with a spraycan to become the street artist Mr. Brainwash. 

In Berlinale Palast, I at first felt sick when that old man's voice over explained me in a history documentary style what and why street art is. But the more ironic the turnout of the story, the more ironic the voice over got. At the end of the movie I had to forgive the filmmakers for that horrible start. I understood the irony and was impressed by the dramaturgy and the entaglement of storylines. The film is released in UK cinemas at March 5th.
Here is a critical video from the opening of Mr. Brainwash's latest show. Here  and here is a report from a studio visit of Mr. Brainwash.
Google Analytics Alternative